Yep, this is a BMW with torque-steer. So the A35 is here to breathe down the neck of the established 300bhp all-weather shopping trolleys. Tip the car in at 30-40mph, get it settled and steady through the curve, and then pull the upshift paddle behind the steering wheel. Sunday 6th October 2019 BMW M135i vs. Mercedes-AMG A35. The engine’s always raspy, even if the exhaust can be sanitised, and the ride is just punishing. Can it see off the cheapest AMG?Here’s a fun game you can play in the new BMW M135i. Well, the BMW M135i brings a reserved, poised character that makes it easy to live with. Most of the time, to conserve fuel, it only bothers the front wheels with 302bhp and 332lb ft. Only when the computers say are the rear wheels entrusted with up to 50 per cent of the poke.So, this is a much more rational, much more follow-the-herd kinda BMW hot hatch, which is a crying shame on one hand – the old M135i and M140i were truly naughty bits of kit, blessed with big engines and old-school rear drive balance, even if the body control was a bit sloppy. So, it’s hideous, but then almost all BMWs are these days.

And I’m not going to bellyache about the demise of the straight six and rear-drive. This version, however, sees its power sent to all corners, as denoted by the xDrive moniker you will spot on the tailgate.Like its rival from Stuttgart, it has a turbocharged, two-litre, four-cylinder engine producing 225kW, although it has 50 more Newton-metres of torque.Still, its on-paper acceleration time is 0.1 of a second slower, though it weighs a smidgen less at 1,525kg. It’s like driving around in one of the candidates from Inside we have the usual A-Class wow factor of twin screens, piano-key switches and jet turbine vents complete with ambient-lit rainbows. BMW M135i vs Mercedes AMG A45 S ... Impressively, like the more affordable A35, this dinky and expensive Fabergé egg of a hyper hatch feels more like an AMG than a Mercedes. Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.What used to be a mean-streaked machine has returned from Automotive Finishing School clutching a master's degree in RefinementWith no bellowing ghost in the machine, it’s an entirely new way of liking or disliking the flagship, says Phuti Mpyane225kW Golf R rival is now waiting for you on Merc's local online car configuratorBMW M135i vs Mercedes-AMG A35: which is the better bet?These hot hatchbacks' credentials are similar on paper — but the two are actually quite different The A35 AMG and latest BMW M135i are like day and night. How very uncouth. It is the sensible one, the payroll administrator. It’s usefully faster, because there’s more torque more of the time, from 1,750rpm all the way to 5,000rpm, and the motor makes maximum power for longer too. The latest M135i has finally given up its six-cylinder engine. It had a six-cylinder engine and rear-wheel drive. Nico DeMattia. BMW M135i vs Mercedes-AMG A35 — Top Gear Test. Focus RS, Golf R,  and the recently replaced Mercedes-AMG A45.This… isn’t it. We also have the usual A-Class eurgh-factor of the whole shebang being made out of materials tinnier and more hollow than they look. Under the bonnet, a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine facing east-west, not north-south. Which is a necessary ability in a hot-hatch.So, according to Top Gear, both cars are polar opposites and quite flawed in different ways. A Mercedes with winglets?
Both of these newcomers are alternatives, but not really improvements. It’s bang-on – cushioning bumps long before they can rattle the disappointingly naff trim and bizarre techno-fabric upholstery.

Pity it sounds like one too.So you can see, these are two curious cars. The Mercedes-AMG A35 is full of charisma and pizzazz. It is the slightly obnoxious creative director that wears sneakers with suits.Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? On the spec side of things, these cars couldn’t be any closer. Logos © 1996. Nico DeMattia. Not Mercedes, obviously.Because it’s so firm and attention-seeking, good drives in the A35 seems to come in short bursts. It had a six-cylinder engine and rear-wheel drive. The rear looks like a crossover that’s had a tree land on it, and what exactly is the front grinning about? It might be better on the standard 18-inch wheels, but who selects those in 2019? It doesn’t even feel spectacularly quick, but it’s exciting. Not a particularly soothing steer this A35. In Comfort Mode, it actually rides better than the last 3 Series M Sport I drove. October … Like the old A45, this is a snappy, fizzy engine. The Mercedes will be overbearing to live with but much more stimulating.

The profits we make from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. Has it gained enough in return to overcome the A35? Completely out of character for a Mercedes, and possibly not what you’ll want in an everyday hatch. Grim. I’m not sure why you’d buy an M135i now – what’s the USP? It comes with more tech than you need and more customization options than ever. It costs R705,000.It simply must be stated that the change of tack in this overall constitution of the BMW 1-Series has resulted in a character that is decidedly dour in comparison to the predecessor. They both have less-than-stellar interiors but in different ways. Home » Models » 1 Series » BMW M135i vs Mercedes-AMG A35 — Top Gear Test. This isn’t a Golf R-like diesel-esque torque monster, oozed along by an invisible locomotive of momentum. Nasty. It’s a boisterous show-off from a well-mannered family. Personally, I’d take the latter because I prioritize quality over style but I can see the allure of the AMG inside.In terms of driving dynamics, the two cars follow a similar path. However, it’s also a bit boring to drive because of it. The Mercedes-AMG A35 looks fantastic but feels cheap and chintzy. Use our side by side comparison to help you make a decision. And as a result, what comes next is a bit of shock, even before you’ve arrived at a corner and slipped out of the limp seat’s weak embrace.The A35’s engine is angry. BMW reinvigorated Mini after all, but left behind almost everything it had learned about making fun small cars when it reinvented one of the previous heroes of its range. By Sam Sheehan / Sunday, October 6, 2019. The S3 is also a bit behind in terms of horsepower, with 300 PS compared to the 306 PS of the other two.On the inside, the A-Class takes the win thanks to its new MBUX-centered design.