País: España . But that is another story. The only time Bayern had triumphed was the season they won the whole thing.The first game was in Madrid, which Los Blancos won with 3-2. The team was only three points behind Bayern in the league before they met on a cold November night in Munich.Heiko Herrlich gave Dortmund the lead after two minutes of play, silencing the crowd at the Olympiastadion. Before the 1999/2000 season, Bayern bolstered their squad by adding Paulo Sergio, 17-year-old super-talent 30-year-old Paulo Sergio became Bayern’s most expensive transfer ever at the time for €6.60m. With all due respect to Sergio Agüero’s goal against QPR, if I am ever asked about the most dramatic season finale I’ve ever seen, my answer will be what happened on matchday 34 in the 2001/01 Bundesliga season.In hindsight, it is incredibly impressive how Bayern managed to prepare themselves emotionally and physically for yet another season-deciding game in another part of Europe days after HSV. But they have their own set of weaknesses. Hired in 1998, Ottmar Hitzfeld had put the German record champions on the right path. Captain Gizka Mendieta controlled the midfield further up the pitch and, by 2001, was one of the world’s best players. Hasan Salihamidžić equalized only five minutes later. Bayern strengthened their squad even further before the legendary 2000/01 season. Uso de cookies: livefutbol.com utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. By adding depth players, such as a 19-year-old Owen Hargreaves and Ciriaco Sforza, the Bavarians hoped to improve an already good team. Bayern’s problem was simply consistency. Bayern won the double and reached the semi-final in the Champions League, where they were knocked by the 1999/00 winners, Bayern strengthened their squad even further before the legendary 2000/01 season. Let’s take a look.Bayern Munich eyes Dayot Upamencano in the summer of 2021Despite his recent contract extension with RB Leipzig, Dayot Upamecano is one of Bayern Munich’s primary transfer targets for the summer of 2021.Jerome Boateng talks about Bayern Munich’s upcoming match against Lyon and the demolition of BarcelonaWill Boateng be able to grab the second treble of his career this year? He often used Paulo Sergio and Hasan Salihamidžić as roaming wingers and Mehmet Scholl as either a winger or a classic number 10. The sum seems laughably small today, but this was the beginning of big-money transfers in the football world: Bayern broke their transfer record for a new player every season for the next four summers.Sergio had a successful season, becoming Bayern’s top goalscorer with 21 goals in all competitions. Schalke meanwhile was playing SpVgg Unterhaching at home. Mendieta took the first one, for Valencia, and scores; Mehmet Scholl took Bayern’s penalty — and misses. Just four days after the miracle in Hamburg, Bayern faced Valencia at the San Siro in the 2001 edition of the Champions League final.On the way to the final, Bayern had triumphed over Manchester United in the quarters and Real Madrid in the semis. Hitzfeld’s tactics were incredibly flexible. While Barcelona was in their prime, the way they completely outplayed Bayern on that April night at the Camp Nou is to this day the most outplayed I’ve ever seen a Bayern side. Bayern will face a highly motivated Lyon side who have emerged as the competition’s dark horses, beating Juventus and Manchester City along the way. It was an early sign of strength and a game that proved that Bayern could compete against the very best, something they had to do continuously that season.As for me, I did not stop singing “Stern des Südens” in my poor German the whole night, and so my love for the beautiful game was born.On their day, Bayern was a world-class team that could beat the heavyweights like Real Madrid and Manchester United. In the 1999/00 season, the team had finished in 11th place, but there were signs that the team was once again on the rise. Upfront, they had Norwegian target-man Dutch referee Dick Jol awarded two penalties in the first 6 minutes. Sand, the prolific Danish striker, then decided the game when he scored Schalke’s fifth goal in the 89th minute. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para Bayern had little to no chance on the return game in Munich, a game that ended 1-1.On April 8th, 2009, it was hard to see successful times ahead as Bayern fans witnessed Lionel Messi and Thierry Henry dance around an abysmal Bayern defense. Four minutes into the second half, Bayern gets another penalty. Legends team The FC Bayern Legends team was founded in the summer of 2006 with the aim of bringing … Valencia was a good team, with a solid back-line driven by goalkeeper Santiago Canizares and Argentine center-back Roberto Ayala. Before the last matchday of the 2000/01 season, Bayern had lost 9 games but was on top of the league with the very small sum of 62 points. The Schalke fans, understanding what had happened in Hamburg but not realizing that the game was over, ran on the pitch. They were safe from relegation and had no chance of reaching the European qualification spots. The fifth edition of this series will cover when Bayern Munich took its first steps into the new millennium and renewed success.Despite losing both the Champions League final and the DFB-Pokal final in 1999, Bayern had ended the 1990s well, and signs of further success were apparent. Giovane Elber and Carsten Jancker played either as lone striker or formed a partnership. However, it was a game that proved that, on their night, the 2000/01 Bayern team could produce great football and win against any team.Dortmund at the time had declined after their 1996/97 Champions League title. To fully understand what happened next, it is important to realize that this was 2001. The ensuing chants in Schalke’s Because at the 89th minute in Gelsenkirchen, the score was still 0-0 in Hamburg.